What happened to David Nicholson 1843 Taste?

BourbonDrinker.com/What happened to David Nicholson 1843 Taste? => I'm new here and pretty much new to trying different bourbons. I have been drinking 1843 for 34 years and have enjoyed it very much. In fact, a few

Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on MagnoliaShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on Yahoo

Author Topic: What happened to David Nicholson 1843 Taste?  (Read 4812 times)

Offline barns1

• Rookie
  • Bourbon Plebian
    • View Profile
  • Referrals: 0
What happened to David Nicholson 1843 Taste?
« on: March 27, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »
I'm new here and pretty much new to trying different bourbons. I have been drinking 1843 for 34 years and have enjoyed it very much. In fact, a few years ago I purchased a few bottles on sale. I recently finished the last bottle and bought a new one. I was surprised at the taste difference. Not the same as my previous bottle. Is it me or did something change? Maybe this is a good time to broaden my horizons so to speak and try some different bourbons. Are there any that would come close to the old 1843? I realize everyones taste is different, but any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your expertise.

Offline BostonDrinker

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to David Nicholson 1843 Taste?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 10:53:07 AM »
Tough break...

DN1843 was secretly Old Fitzgerald -- through most of your drinking years, produced by the legendary Stitzel-Weller distillery. (Bourbon websites are filled with S-W devotees.)

The brand owner (David Sherman/Luxco) now sources their wheat-recipe whiskey from Heaven Hill. They also own Rebel Yell, and it has been rumored that the older stock is being diverted to the new-ish Rebel Reserve, leaving Rebel Yell (and presumably 1843) with younger juice.

Depending on how long ago you purchased your "sale" bottles, you either had S-W whiskey (delicious) or older HH wheat-recipe (OK but still better than current production.)
--Kevin
<i>"Hailstones beating on the roof/The bourbon is a hundred proof"</i>

Offline barns1

• Rookie
  • Bourbon Plebian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »
I appreciate the info. Now what to do? Good excuse to do some trial and error sipping I suppose. Thanks again.

Offline BostonDrinker

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:36:37 PM »
If you're looking for the same S-W whiskey, then you're limited to Pappy Van Winkle 15 year old (and older) or Jefferson's Presidential Reserve 17 or 18 year old. Both are older in taste and (significantly) higher in cost.

Other versions of the Heaven Hill wheat recipe are the Old Fitzgerald family and the previously-mentioned Rebel Yell and Rebel Reserve.

Buffalo Trace owns the other ex-Stitzel-Weller labels and produces wheated bourbon for those and the Van Winkle line for Pappy Van Winkle's grandson Julian. I'm a fan of the Wellers, especially the 107-proof Old Weller Antique, as good value pours. The Van Winkle Lot B is excellent and smooth, though it has gotten pricey of late, too.
--Kevin

Offline stlscott

• Rookie
  • Bourbon Plebian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 07:09:17 PM »
I discovered three unopened bottles of 1970 David Nicholson 1843, bottled by Peter Hauptmann Co, St. Louis, Mo in a basement where they have been in a box.   

I'm not sure what to do with them, drink or wait another 42 years??

Offline BostonDrinker

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 11:39:06 AM »
Drink one, save one, and send the other one to me!

Whiskey doesn't go bad as long as the seal is intact. Out of curiosity, distilled in 1970 or bottled in 1970?
--Kevin

Tags:

* Upcoming Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.