Picked up some bourbon

BourbonDrinker.com/Picked up some bourbon => FR SmB - $22.99 Woodford Seasoned Oak - $99.99 MM 46 - $36.99 Old Fitz (1 liter) - $19.99   I know, I said I would never buy the 46 but I received a

Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on MagnoliaShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on Yahoo

Author Topic: Picked up some bourbon  (Read 3955 times)

Offline NickAtMartinis

• View Profile
  • Referrals: 0
Picked up some bourbon
« on: October 15, 2010, 08:48:15 PM »
FR SmB - $22.99
Woodford Seasoned Oak - $99.99
MM 46 - $36.99
Old Fitz (1 liter) - $19.99

I know, I said I would never buy the 46 but I received a $250 gift card from work and couldn't resist.

So far I have had the 46 and the Woodford.  Surprsingly, the 46 is excellent and the the Seasoned Oak is ridiculously sweet and tastes like bananas, oatmeal and hay - not so good.
-- Mark

"Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder." Gee Dubb -  First President of these United States.

Offline RogerB

• View Profile
Re: Picked up some bourbon
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 03:51:31 PM »
I picked up some Jefferson's Presidential Select 17yr, Wild Turkey Tradition, Eagle Rare 10/101, and Pappy Van Winkle 23yr this weekend.  In addition to this, I also picked up some non-bourbon whisky- Aberlour A'bunadh, Ardbeg Nam Beist, Bunnahabhabain Un-Chill filtered, and Tangle Ridge 10yr.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Big Tex

• Proud Texan
  • Executive Officer
    • View Profile
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 08:47:52 AM »
I picked up some Jefferson's Presidential Select 17yr, Wild Turkey Tradition, Eagle Rare 10/101, and Pappy Van Winkle 23yr this weekend.  In addition to this, I also picked up some non-bourbon whisky- Aberlour A'bunadh, Ardbeg Nam Beist, Bunnahabhabain Un-Chill filtered, and Tangle Ridge 10yr.

Roger doesn't mess around.  These are all really special whiskies.  Good hunting!
Defending my whisky principles like they were the Alamo.

Offline jkofferdahl

• Rookie
  • Bourbon Plebian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:39:11 PM »
Maker's 46 is one of my favorites. To me it's a bit sweeter than MM, and with just a bit less of a burn going down. I'm split between the two.

FR SmB - $22.99
MM 46 - $36.99

I know, I said I would never buy the 46 but I received a $250 gift card from work and couldn't resist.

So far I have had the 46 and the Woodford.  Surprsingly, the 46 is excellent and the the Seasoned Oak is ridiculously sweet and tastes like bananas, oatmeal and hay - not so good.

Offline Big Tex

• Proud Texan
  • Executive Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 08:25:48 PM »
All they do is add some barrel staves to the already aging Makers barrel.  They leave the staves in the barrel for three months.  So, the Makers 46 is 6years 3 months...versus the regular Makers at 6years.

A six year or six year 3month bourbon....just isn't worth the cost that Makers charges.  There are many other bourbons that are older for less money.

In Texas...you can find 12 yr old Weller for less money than a 6 year old Makers.  I just don't see any reason to support an overpriced bourbon.

Offline Flyfish

• Rookie
  • Bourbon Plebian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 06:35:33 AM »
I'm with Tex. Maker's is marketed as expensive but worth it. I prefer the Weller (Antique and/or 12 YO and SR) regardless of the price. Have not had the 46 and don't plan to.

Offline HRay

• Rookie
  • Bourbon Plebian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 03:59:43 PM »
I prefer the W. L. Weller as well.  I used to think that I didn't like wheated bourbons because I didn't like Makers Mark and am a very big fan of rye whiskey.  Then I was convinced to try the W.L. Weller Antique (107 proof) and really liked it!  My everyday bourbon has become the 90 proof mainly because the 1.75 liter is less than $20 here in Atlanta.  You cna't beat that! I tried the 12 year old and found it to be a little too woody for my tastes.  I tend to go back to the Antique.

-HRay

Offline Big Tex

• Proud Texan
  • Executive Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 10:14:07 AM »
I prefer the W. L. Weller as well.  I used to think that I didn't like wheated bourbons because I didn't like Makers Mark and am a very big fan of rye whiskey.  Then I was convinced to try the W.L. Weller Antique (107 proof) and really liked it!  My everyday bourbon has become the 90 proof mainly because the 1.75 liter is less than $20 here in Atlanta.  You cna't beat that! I tried the 12 year old and found it to be a little too woody for my tastes.  I tend to go back to the Antique.

-HRay

Good post.

Try mixing a shot of the Weller 12 with a shot of Weller 107.  You will get a pour with about 9-10 years of age and about 99 proof.  I find it better than either one is...individually.

Offline philoposia

• Rookie
  • Bourbon Plebian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 03:57:45 PM »
I found the Seasoned Oak to be quite robust, but not unpleasantly sweet.  The Maple Wood finish, on the other hand, tastes like it should be poured on pancakes. 

FR SmB - $22.99
MM 46 - $36.99

Offline borchard

• Rookie
  • Bourbon Plebian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 11:00:57 AM »
I'm with Tex. Maker's is marketed as expensive but worth it. I prefer the Weller (Antique and/or 12 YO and SR) regardless of the price. Have not had the 46 and don't plan to.

I introduced a friend of mine to Makers 46 last night. He is a regular consumer of MM. He thought the 46 was a lot "stronger" than MM

Tags:

* Upcoming Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.