Old Charter 10 Year Bourbon Review

BourbonDrinker.com/Old Charter 10 Year Bourbon Review => Old Charter 10 Year Bourbon Review 17 February 2010, 3:17 pm See how much Bourbon is left in the bottle?  I figured it was about time to review it

Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on MagnoliaShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on Yahoo

Author Topic: Old Charter 10 Year Bourbon Review  (Read 5367 times)

Offline dzell

• Head Drinker
  • Administrator
  • Drink more bourbon!
    • View Profile
    • BourbonDrinker.com
  • Referrals: 0
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »
17 February 2010, 3:17 pm

Old Charter Bourbon
See how much Bourbon is left in the bottle?  I figured it was about time to review it because one perk to being in Kentucky is that you can some mighty fine Bourbons for a very reasonable price. It feels like some are produced for us to have access to at quite reasonable prices like Old Charter 10 Year Old Bourbon. While this Old Charter can be found outside the Bluegrass State, this one is a “go to Bourbon” that we know is consistently one of the best values for your tastebuds. I purchased 1 Liter of this Old Charter at Liquor  Barn in Louisville for about $17.

Bourbon: Old Charter Aged 10 Years

Distillery:While the label reads, “Distilled, Aged and bottled by Old Charter  Distillery Co, Frankfort, KY” is aged at Buffalo Trace

Proof:86; 43% abv ,

Color: Golden to Amber

Nose: Peppery corn, some rye and heat

Taste: Full, rounded spice balanced with soft honey hints. Somewhat complex with corn playing against toffee and butter. The age of this Bourbon and reputation of Buffalo Trace certainly give it the backbone to stand up to Bourbons in much higher price brackets.  Thank you Buffalo Trace for giving us delicious Bourbons always, and for keeping some both extremely delicious and affordable at the same time.

Finish:Vanilla cake with ever so slight charcoal. Similar finish to Ancient Ancient Age, but not as sweet.

Label reads: “gently matured for ten seasons in century old brick warehouses”

: BourbonBlog

Show your support for the BourbonBlog by visiting http://www.bourbonblog.com.
Favorite Bottles:
1) George T. Stagg (All Years)
2) Russel's Reserve (101 proof)
3) Rock Hill Farms
4) Vintage Bourbon 17-Year

Offline Bucc58

• Human Bourbon Consumption Unit
  • Hands off my drink - Bub.
    • View Profile
Re: Old Charter 10 Year Bourbon Review
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 01:49:58 PM »
Good review devin. It reminded me that my girlfriends dad gave me a pint of old Charter with a tax stamp still on it. her mom told me they have had it since about the time they were married 35 years ago. I forgot to bring it home but will be back there and get it soon then we can see what it is and I can drink it and give it a review. if it is indeed that old and is 10yo it could have been put in the barrel in 1965 and bottled in 1975. anyone that knows charter well want to chime in on what to possibly expect?  ::)
Joe Young

Offline Big Tex

• Proud Texan
  • Executive Officer
    • View Profile
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 02:46:55 PM »
Depending on the age statement....you can expect different levels.  They had 6, 7, 8, 10 and 12 back then.  Plus a number of different proofs. 
To me, they were directly inline with many of the other bourbons of their era.  Very rich, thick, viscous whiskies with plenty of corn, rye, barrel balance.  You can really taste the age in the bottle.  Also, the yeast that they used really brought the best out in the whiskey.
Today's product, while good, doesn't really have the depth that the versions from Bernheim old facilty had.
Some have said that there were some variations within the distillate at Old Bernheim...but, I have not encountered them(bad batches).
If you can find the dusty version...the price will be about $8 less expensive.  The price recently went up a bunch.  So, look deep in the shelf for a bottle with an old price tag. 
Defending my whisky principles like they were the Alamo.

Offline birdman1099

• The Vulture of Swill !!!!
  • I poop on People
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 03:16:06 PM »
I have not had a BT version, but I do have a 10 yr from Louisville open right now.  It is pretty good.  I did a comparison between it and a few other similar offerings (current and dusty)  and it held up well.

I may have to get a Frankfort bottling to do a proper comparison....

Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Offline dzell

• Head Drinker
  • Administrator
  • Drink more bourbon!
    • View Profile
    • BourbonDrinker.com
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 11:45:06 PM »
In all honesty, I didn't write the review. Tom Fischer over at BourbonBlog.com wrote that... He and I are experimenting with his posts showing up over here. I think I need to get him to create an account so his name is on the posts.
Favorite Bottles:
1) George T. Stagg (All Years)
2) Russel's Reserve (101 proof)
3) Rock Hill Farms
4) Vintage Bourbon 17-Year

Offline Big Tex

• Proud Texan
  • Executive Officer
    • View Profile
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 08:36:32 AM »
Also noted, while checking out some online stores yesterday....that the price still ranges widely.  From that store in Chicago that starts with a B($12/750/ OC 10yr) to some stores here in Tex($19/750/ OC 10yr)....both for the current label.
So, watch your prices and shop around.  Liquor stores, like all other stores, have very different pricing policies.
Defending my whisky principles like they were the Alamo.

Offline birdman1099

• The Vulture of Swill !!!!
  • I poop on People
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 01:31:06 PM »
Well, I picked up a current bottle of OC 10 to compare with a bottle from UD.  The new OC 10 was 19.99.

I was quite surprised how similar the 2 were.  To me, the current was "livelier" than the former. 

If I had to pick one, I'd pick the current version. (not what I was expecting)

Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Tags:

* Upcoming Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.