Bourbon Cream Liqueur

BourbonDrinker.com/Bourbon Cream Liqueur => After trying the Buffalo Trace Cream Liqueur, I knew I had to figure out how to get more. Seeing as how it's only sold in their distillery gift shop,

Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on MagnoliaShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on Yahoo

Author Topic: Bourbon Cream Liqueur  (Read 17389 times)

Offline dzell

• Head Drinker
  • Administrator
  • Drink more bourbon!
    • View Profile
    • BourbonDrinker.com
  • Referrals: 0
Bourbon Cream Liqueur
« on: January 13, 2010, 10:23:11 PM »
After trying the Buffalo Trace Cream Liqueur, I knew I had to figure out how to get more. Seeing as how it's only sold in their distillery gift shop, getting more might not be an easy task. So tonight I tried making my first homemade bourbon cream liqueur. This is from a recipe I got from a fellow home brewer.

My initial impression is that this is pretty tasty (I'm planning to drink the hell out of this), but not quite what I'm looking for.
  • 2 eggs, well beaten
  • 2 cups milk or 1/2 and 1/2
  • Heat milk and eggs until very hot (DO NOT BOIL! unless you want your Irish cream scrambled). Strain the mixture (you may need to do this more than once depending on how fine your strainer is) and cool. (I heated to 200 degrees, which was TOO much. Next time I'm pulling off the stove at 180 degrees).
  • Add 1 tsp. of Vanilla
  • Add 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk.
  • Add 2 tbsp. Hershey's syrup
  • Add 1tsp. coconut or almond extract (I used almond extract).
  • Add 1 1/2 cups bourbon whiskey
  • Mix well and refrigerate (or pour a little on ice to give it a "quality check")
I definitely made a few mistakes along the way. Getting the milk/egg mixture too hot was the first. Not a lost cause, just not as 'aesthetic' as I'd like it to be (a little grainy in the end). Also caused a lot of extra straining before mixing in the milk/egg.

The taste is a-okay. Pretty darn tasty actually, just not what I had my heart set on. The almond extract seemed a little strong and masked the bourbon. The egg also seemed a stronger contributor to the flavor than I'd like.

Ideas to improve the next batch: use one egg (or no egg at all); half or no almond extract and more vanilla or chocolate; watch temperature; use all half and half or heavy cream/whipping cream.

If I don't use eggs, I can just combine ingredients, shake 'em up, chill and serve.

Although I don't consider this first attempt a complete success, I do look forward to trying this again! Also, I'm hoping it improves a little after chilling a day and giving the flavors time to combine.

Anyone else out there have experience making a cream liqueur? Drop a reply. I'd love to hear what works for you.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:45:26 PM by dzell »
Favorite Bottles:
1) George T. Stagg (All Years)
2) Russel's Reserve (101 proof)
3) Rock Hill Farms
4) Vintage Bourbon 17-Year

Offline mozilla

• View Profile
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Bourbon Cream Liqueur
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:37:54 AM »
Wow...you we're not kidding around.

My experiment consisted of adding some bourbon to some chocolate milk.  It worked just fine.  I first tried it with some Lowland Scotch...it was not very good.  The bourbon worked much better.

Offline Blondex59

• Rookie
  • Bourbon Plebian
    • View Profile
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Bourbon Cream Liqueur
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 07:42:22 AM »
I hope you like ice-cream as well as I do but ice-cream at the shop is horrible so I created my own recipe of http://skywritingservice.com/blog/how-to-make-homemade-ice-cream, I hope you will like it.

Tags:

* Upcoming Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.